Hello and welcome to my personal blog…
I rarely use this to publish my thoughts any more, but I’ve hung onto it just in case there’s ever something I feel the need to say for which there is no other outlet, and also in case someone ever names a movie Uppercutting and there’s a chance for me to cash out by selling it. A guy needs a retirement plan, right?
In the meantime, here are links to some of my favorite things I’ve written about elsewhere. I hope you enjoy.
- The Trouble With Floyd Mayweather (Deadspin, 2014) – this is my best known article, and was largely responsible for the wave of media coverage of Floyd Mayweather’s history of domestic abuse, most notably this Rachel Nichols interview
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. And Conor McGregor Will Never Fight And Thank God (Deadspin, 2016)
- Why Is Katie Couric Letting Floyd Mayweather Smear His Victims? (Deadspin, 2015)
- Floyd Mayweather Bans Michelle Beadle, Rachel Nichols From Covering Bout (Deadspin, 2015)
- Mayweather-Pacquiao Won’t Be The Fight of The Century (The New Republic, 2015) – a pretty prophetic prediction of why the biggest fight in boxing history would disappoint
- A Conversation With Will Leitch on Mayweather-Pacquiao (GQ, 2015)
- Mayweather’s Joke of a Fight (Sports On Earth, 2015)
- Surgeon Versus Slugger (Sports on Earth, 2014)
- Manny Pacquiao Fights On ESPN Tonight, and No One Cares (Deadspin, 2017)
- Pay-Per-View Is Ruining Boxing, But Tonight’s Crawford-Postol Fight Is Still Worth Your Money (Deadspin, 2016) – a fan’s anguished rant on why pay-per-view is a Ponzi scheme that will suffocate boxing’s future
- What We’ve Lost With Muhammad Ali (Deadspin, 2016) – a look back on what made The Greatest of All Time so amazing
- Bud Crawford is an Anomaly (Deadspin, 2015) – my paean to the finest young fighter in the sport.
- Too High A Price (Sports on Earth, 2014) – a look at the challenging career of Victor Ortiz
- Still King (Sports on Earth, 2014) – a celebration — celebration? — yes, celebration of Don King
- A Scorched Legend (Sports on Earth, 2014) – a look back on the seemingly endless career of the great Evander Holyfield DEAD LINK. reproduced here.
- Boxing is a Goddamned Tragedy (Kinja blog, 2013) – a fan tries to cope with death in the ring DEAD LINK, THANKS G/O MEDIA
- Boxing is Still a Goddamned Tragedy (Kinja blog, 2013) – a follow up to the above DEAD LINK, THANKS G/O MEDIA
- What the Fuck is Wrong with Stephen A. Smith? (Deadspin, 2015)
Sexual Violence in Sports:
- Jameis Winston is Not a Victim (Deadspin, 2014)